Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Poor Memory is Costing Me!




I spent $10 today, not by choice but I spent it anyway. Usually when you spend money you pick out something you want and like and you give the money willingly. Believe me, I paid the $10 but not willingly!


I have a pretty good memory but it failed me this month. I have all of my utility bills set up to be paid automatically from my checking account. The one bill that, for some unremembered reason, I do not have set up for that is my cell phone bill through Centennial Wireless. I do pay it on line but it doesn't automatically pay. I have to get on line and process it through Bill Pay. So this month I was distracted from doing that for some reason and thus my bill was not paid.


I was called twice by Centennial Wireless and was connected to a recording telling me that I owed so much and to verify my identity I was instructed to put my last four SS numbers in. I never give my identification out over the phone so I just hung up. Then this morning I got another call saying the same thing. I decided that maybe I had better see what it was all about and I did put my SS numbers in. The recording told me again how much I owed and to press one if I wanted to make a payment and If I didn't want to make the payment press two. At that time I was unaware that I had not paid my bill and not wanting to pay something I was not sure about I pressed two, indicating I did not want to make the payment.


Then the wheels started turning in my brain and I thought maybe I had not paid the bill. So I got out my bill and checked and, sure enough, I had not paid it. So I got on line right away and made the payment, that was for last month. Then in today's mail I got the bill for this month and was shocked to see that they had charged me a $10 late fee. I had no choice but to pay it-- I was late paying the bill.


So I am out $10 for nothing. I did not get to pick out anything and keep it for mine. I paid for my poor memory! If you know me you know how I hate paying out any kind of interest, late fees or extra charges for anything. I always pay my Discover card bill every month to avoid any interest payment. I always pay my bills on time, except this time, to avoid a late fee. This is the very first time I have ever been late paying my Centennial Wireless bill.


So the next time I am out I will be stopping at Centennial Wireless to change my payment to automatic. They had better enjoy that $10 late fee I just paid them because it is the last one they will ever get from me!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home