Saturday, November 7, 2009

Cranking a car--in the olden days

A 1912 Cadillac. the first car with an electric starter.
Cranking an old car




Cranking an even older car












I remember back when I was just a little kid, my dad had an old model T Ford. Of course it was used when he got it and had a lot of problems he had to deal with. It was an older car and did not have an electric starter. One of the problems was getting it started. It had to be hand cranked. By the time he would get it started he was cranky!
I remember sitting there in the car waiting for him to get it cranked up and running. I would be thinking why won't it start? Then when we were about to give up it would start sputtering and backfiring and finally take off running. It was always a relief for it to start.
The first car with an electric starter was a 1912 Cadillac. My dad never had a car with an electric starter until long after that. Not all cars got the electric starter until some time later.
My dad never had a brand new car in his whole life. I would have loved to have bought him a brand new car that never gave him any problems. However, I am sure that now he never has any problems with anything!

1 Comments:

At November 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was way past the days of hand cranking a car when I got my first one, but it did have a choke. You had to pull out the choke and pump the gas pedal a few times before you turned the key. But you had to be careful -- if you gave it too much gas, it flooded, then you had to wait a while before it would start.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home