Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ORANGEADE
























Many years ago when I and my two sisters were just little kids our mother used to make orangeade for us. I say orangeade because it was part water instead of all orange juice. She would make it with about half orange juice and about half water. Then she would load it up with sugar and put ice cubes in it and we drank it like it was pure orange juice. That way the juice went twice as far and we kids didn't mind the difference at all.


We didn't have a lot of money so we had to make things stretch as far as we could. Not only did the juice go farther but we also did not waste the pulp left after squeezing the oranges. Mama would get every last drop of juice out of the rind and then we kids ate the pulp leftover. not one bit of the orange was wasted. I remember even chewing some of the white part of the rind out of the skin. It didn't have much taste but I liked to eat it anyway.

Maybe that is why I am so thrifty and frugal today! I abhor wasting any thing that is edible. I will have to say that now I don't add water to my orange juice! I like pure juice with no water added. But back in those days the water was fine.


How times change!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home