Sunday, November 1, 2009

Texas and Pacific Railroad Depot



My Dad and Steve at the depot to pick me up.




My Mom and me at the depot.










This is the old T & P Depot in Paris, Texas, where I arrived many times when I use to ride the train to Texas from Indiana. When I first came to Indiana Ford worked for the railroad and he had a pass with which we could ride the train to anywhere we wanted. At that time we did not own a car so the train pass worked perfect for us.


The picture above is of one time when I arrived at the depot and my Mother and Dad picked me up there. It was formerly called the T&P depot. It has since been renamed the Santa Fe-Frisco-Kiamichi depot because the Kiamichi Railroad bought it.


I see the old place every summer when I visit Paris. It still brings a little thrill to my heart when I see it. I have many memories connected to it. In times past many thousands of people came and went through Paris. Now the depot is just a passing memory for most.


The depot looks pretty much the same outwardly as it always has. However, there has been an extensive restoration to it. It is now a museum of sorts. I have not been inside it for many years. Many soldiers came into the depot back during WWII. I am not sure if any trains come there at all now. I think it is mainly just a museum and historical monument.


1 Comments:

At November 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a transportation museum, and it houses the Chamber of Commerce and the Genealogical Library. There is a meeting room available there for clubs to use. Next time you come, we'll go inside.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home