Saturday, October 31, 2009

Frugal Me!



Bread pudding












Deli buns



I am pretty proud of myself for this event! I had a package of deli buns that got pushed to the back of my freezer over time and were completely forgotten.



I happened to find them while looking for something else the other day. They were so hard and dried out that I thought right away they would have to be thrown out. Bread does not fare well too long in the freezer.


I was upset because throwing out food is not my cup of tea! So I spent the next few hours thinking of what I could do with those buns. Then it hit me--I love dressing and it is often made with stale bread. So I crumbled up several of the buns and had a big bowl of bread crumbs. I had some chicken parts in the freezer and I put them in my pressure cooker and cooked them until the chicken fell off the bones. I made a large pan of dressing with the chicken broth. It was delicious. I have enough for several meals of it.




The next day I thought of bread pudding. So I dug out a recipe for bread pudding which called for two cups of bread crumbs. It had also had milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla flavoring, raisins, and chopped nuts. I had all of that on hand so I made a big pan of bread pudding. It turned out to be delicious also. My problem was solved; I didn't have to throw out my deli buns and I had delicious meals for a couple of days.

I still have a few buns left but I am going to crumb them up and save them for another batch of dressing. Aren't I clever?


Very little food goes down my garbage disposal. I guess you could say I am a human garbage disposal!









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home