Friday, November 13, 2009

Pumpkins

Pumpkin pie

















Pumpkin seeds





Pie pumpkins




My grandson, Brett gave me his Halloween pumpkins last week. They were the small pie pumpkins. He brought over four of them.

Today, I dove into the job of cutting them up and making the pulp into pie filling. It was some job and I spent about 4 hours getting it all done. I cut the pumpkins into pieces and cooked them in the microwave until they were tender then I cut the peelings off. I ended up with enough pumpkin for about four pies.


The true treasure of this gift, however, was the seeds. Besides the pumpkin for four pies, I have about four cups of seeds that I have drying on my counter . Tomorrow I will roast them and store them for later use--probably not too much later because I will eat them up pretty fast!


I will make pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. I may share the seeds if there are any left by then!


I shudder to think of all the years I have had pumpkins and did use them for pies but I never gave a second thought about the seeds. They always got pitched into the garbage because I didn't know they could be eaten. Once I found out about that I have always roasted them for eating. I love roasted pumpkin seeds. They also are supposedly very healthful.


Pumpkins are a lot of work but well worth it in my opinion. Actually, the work is making the pie filling, not roasting the seeds. But who ever said this life was not filled with work?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home