Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Have a Balot/Balut!







Above are pictures of a balot/balut and Uncle Bernice.
Uncle Bernice was one of my favorite uncles. He was the best educated, and sort of the smartest one of my mother's brothers. He was a career army man. I always thought of him as above all the rest of the family
Whatever he said really rated with me!
He was visiting with us once and he talked a lot when he visited. He was telling us about this kind of food he had learned of--I don't think he ate it he just knew about it--from the Philippines. It was called a balot and sometimes a balut.
A balot/balut was an egg, some said a duck, others a chicken, that was a few days from hatching. It was cooked and cracked open and eaten right from the shell, embryo and all.
My mother almost fainted from the thought. She thought that was terrible. Uncle Bernice was pleased that he shocked her so!
All through the years, many of them, I have had that memory on my mind. I knew the name for years but when I dug up that memory for a post on my blog, somehow, the name had escaped me. I kept thinking it was galoot, which was close, but then when I looked up the definition for galoot it didn't match. So I have searched for a few days trying to come up with the name Uncle Bernice called it. I know now why it was so hard to find. The word is not in my dictionary and it was barely listed on Google.
However, it is a balot or balut. It is spelled both ways.
All that being said, I never want to eat a balut!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home