Thursday, February 11, 2010

TOMATO PIE


























Back in 1945 when Ford was stationed in Trenton, New Jersey, we rented an apartment there. The people we rented from were Italian. The lady introduced us to tomato pie--really sort of like our pizzas now. She made tomato pie and also another kind of pie which was just the bread dough sprinkled with Rosemary and some other herbs and baked that way. I fell in love with it.



I made it often after I came back to Indiana to live. Of course, Ford never touched it with a ten foot pole and still never did for the rest of his life. He hated pizza with a passion.



Actually, tomato pie was about the same as our pizzas are now. They didn't put pepperoni and all that stuff on it but it did have cheese and tomatoes on it. That lady used a lot of garlic in her cooking. I can't remember for sure but I think she did use some garlic on her tomato pies.



I had never heard of Pizza back in those days but after we had pizzas here I knew that it was the same as the tomato pie I had eaten in New Jersey back in 1945, only with more toppings.



Trenton was the birthplace of tomato pie and is known for its tomato pie.
Tomato pie was sold there as early as 1914 and maybe earlier.



So I can say I have been there and done that before all the rest of America even had a taste of Pizza!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home