Friday, March 12, 2010

It's Permanent!

Carla Sue, about five years old.


When my daughter, Carla was in kindergarten I was visiting at the school one day for a play or some sort of entertainment. One of the acts required the kids to all hold hands. Carla did what the rest of the kids did and she happened to be next to a little black boy, so she held hands with him.

Later, when we were back home we were talking about the play. She was thoughtful for a minute then she looked at me and said, "You know the black from Joey (the black boy she had held hands with) didn't even come off on my hand." I was shocked because we had never talked about anything like that. I have no idea who told her that the black might rub off on her from a black person.

It all reminds me of the time Mary Ruth slept with a black baby doll which Uncle Gola had given her. She woke up the next morning with black paint smudged all over her face and neck. The doll had been painted with inferior paint. We had a good laugh about that! I had a blog about it some time ago.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home