Sunday, March 14, 2010

Our Cousin, Lavada Burke

Lavada Burke

Pictured above is our cousin, Lavada, in her Roman sandals. She was the daughter of our mother's sister, Aunt Lottie. Lavada died when I was very young, only about three or four.

Lavada had diphtheria. Back in those days I guess they didn't know much about treating diphtheria. Lavada was a few years older than I am so she must have been about five or six.

I well remember the day my mother got the news about her death. Aunt Lottie lived out west somewhere--I don't remember exactly where, maybe Amarilla or Denton. Of course we could not go for the funeral because we didn't have a car at that time. But I remember the sadness around our place for a few days.

Lavada was a very pretty little girl. They missed her very much. Aunt Lottie had seven other children so her mind was occupied with taking care of the other children which helped her forget sooner, not really forget but think about it less.

--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home