Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fingernails



I spent about 57 years pushing the cuticles back on Ford's fingers. When we were going together somehow I got into the habit of massaging the cuticles on his fingers when we were sitting together--maybe at a movie, on a bus, or even in church--it could be done very discretely. He loved for me to do that so it became a lifelong thing with us. I never used any tool or orange stick to do it, I just did it with my fingers. I would gently push back the cuticle on each finger and maybe repeat it a couple of times before he was satisfied.
I have to admit that after a few years I was not as inspired to do it as I was in the beginning. It became a little boring after so long. However, I did do it a lot even in our later years together. He would never say a word but just put his hand in my lap and I knew what he meant.
Now, after his being gone for ten years I sometime wish I could do it again for him. I am sure he may not have anyone to do it for him in Heaven! But, then maybe he doesn't need it there.
I am sort of glad he never graduated to having me do his toenails!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home