Sunday, August 8, 2010

How Times Have Changed






Helen and Ray Merritt



Cleo and Ruth Merritt


















Above are pictures of my cousins, Cleo and Ruth Merritt and Ray and Helen Merritt. They were my Aunt Lizzie's boys. Sorry, but I don't have an older picture of Ray. He was much younger is this picture.


My cousin , Cleo is now deceased but his wife Ruth is still living. Ray and Helen are both still living at this time.


Many years ago when Ray and Cleo were both dating Helen and Ruth, I was at My Aunt Lizzie's for a visit. I was probably about 14 or 15 years old then. Cleo and Ray both had a double date with Ruth and Helen. They had an old car that barely got around and they were going for a ride around town one night. They insisted that I come along with them on their date. I felt like a fifth wheel but I did kind of want to go so I did.



We just took a ride around Paris for a little while. Then came the highlight of the evening! We stopped at a dinky little store and the boys bought us all a five cent candy bar. What a thrill!



What do you think a girl would now think of a date who bought her a five cent candy bar for the excitement of the whole evening?



However, back in those days that really was a treat. Money was really scarce and we didn't get a lot of candy to eat. So our fun time was over after we ate the candy. It had been a fun night for us all. Of course, I didn't have a boyfriend at that time so maybe Cleo, Ruth, Ray and Helen had a little more fun than I did! They both were married for many, many years so they had a lifetime of fun being married.



Nowadays a guy has to spend a minimum of probably $25 on his date. And a lot more if they eat somewhere and then go to a movie.



I tend to think that we were just as happy with our five cent candy bars as the kids who now have to spend the $25 or more on a date.



I shudder to think how much money it will take for a date in the future! Luckily--or unluckily--I won't be around that much longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home