Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pin Cushions























Above is a picture of my pincushion and a picture of a neatly organized wall plaque. When I was just a kid, and even a teenager,

we had a wall display of pins, needles, and other things but not nearly as neat and organized as the one in the picture.


We would always have straight pins, needles threaded with different colors of thread, safety pins and sometimes my mother would have one of her brooches stuck on the wall. It was always near the mirror on our dresser. So if we needed a pin, needle or safety pin it would be right there near our hand by the mirror.


We just stuck them right in the wall paper. There would be dozens of pin holes in the paper, which really ruined it. Somehow, my mother never mentioned anything to us about the damaging effects of the pinholes on the wall paper--and it really did ruin the paper. We also had a spot on the wall by the sewing machine where we stuck pins and needles. I suppose it didn't enter her mind that anything was wrong with the practice. It was handy and convenient so she just thought it was OK.


My pin cushion is not pretty and it is kind of tattered and old but at least my wallpaper is not ruined with pin holes. Actually, I don't have much wallpaper now but back in those days all we had on our walls was wallpaper. But I would never think if sticking a pin or needle in my wall, no matter how handy and convenient!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home