Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wasps




I am surprised that I was not stung many more times than I ever was. I used to get into bushes and vines all the time hunting for berries. I never checked for wasps or hornets when I dug into bushes, I just looked for those big red berries or black ones to stick into my mouth and enjoy that sweet fresh flavor. I loved any kind of berries. Sometimes I wanted to pick them and take them home for my mother to make pies or shortcakes with, other times I just ate them right on the spot--yum yum!
Once I remember finding a big bunch of berry vines along a fence row and the berries were inviting me right in to eat them. I climbed the fence and got right in there. I had not had a berry to eat yet before a big wasp got me right on my upper lip. Wow! Did that ever hurt? I got my butt out of there in a hurry and ran home screaming. My mother put something on it to lessen the pain. I stayed out of berry bushes for some time after that.
I have not had any kind of a sting for many years but I sure remember how much that wasp sting hurt! I still love berries but now I hunt for them in the racks at the grocery store. The prices hurt almost as much as the wasp sting did. But once in a while I get stung anyway and buy a basket of strawberries or whatever kind is in season. I am in heaven eating them--with whipped cream!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home