Friday, March 28, 2008

Cats

Back in the olden days we usually had a cow. My mother would make butter and buttermilk. We always had pans of milk in our ice box (That was what we used to keep our food cool before electric refrigerators were invented).

When my mother or dad would bring the milk into the house after milking the cow there would be cats, many cats, sitting by the door waiting. They were waiting for someone to pour milk into the pans that were scattered around the back door. That was a regular ritual and the cats knew that ritual well.

Of course we did not claim to own the cats but they did claim us as their owners. My mother said she could not resist feeding them because most of them did not have an owner at all and would have starved otherwise. Her practice of feeding them was exactly what kept them coming back. I have seen as many as six or eight cats at one time around our back door.

As a consequence of all those cats hanging around our door, I am definitely not a cat person today! I do not dislike cats but at the same time I do not really like them. I am really a dog person. I may hear from some of the millions of cat lovers that I know are around the world. Cat people are adamant in their love for their cats!

2 Comments:

At March 28, 2008 at 8:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never new Ollie fed strays! I can remember "Samgoes", the stray dog that wandered up and I begged to keep, but found "Samwent" when I went down for my afternoon nap!

 
At March 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for my spelling...."knew"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home