Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Snake in the Car

Back in the olden days I had an uncle who lived out in the country. He had a boy my age. We visited them quite a bit and I had a chance to play with my cousin.

There was a vacant field that was very near them where many old cars had been abandoned. My cousin and I liked to go out to this field and play "cars" there. We would pretend to drive them. Our parents had always told us to make sure to look in the cars first and make sure there were no snakes or other animals hiding there before we got into them. We had never before seen anything in the cars.

This particular day we had gone out to play and I had picked a car to be mine. I said to my cousin, "Go check it out for snakes first for me." So he went and looked and immediately he yelled, 'There is s huge snake in there! " I just assumed he was kidding me and was just trying to scare me. However, I went to take a look for myself. Sure enough, he was not kidding, there was a snake about 5 or 6 feet long all coiled up in the back of the car. By that time my cousin was half way back to the house running. I ran after him.

My uncle brought his hoe out to the car and killed the snake. He looped it over the hoe handle and carried it back to the house for the rest to see. All the way back to the house the snake was vomiting whole eggs out on the ground. It was a chicken snake. They eat chicken eggs, apparently whole. A few minutes later we looked out and the snake was still able to crawl a little so my uncle got his shotgun and finished it off. My aunt had some sheets hanging on her clothesline to dry. Snake blood and bits went all over her clean sheets and she had to launder them all over again.

We never, ever played "cars" again in that field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home