Monday, May 26, 2008

I'm Lost!

When I was about 4 or 5 my Dad and my Grandmother took me to town one Saturday night. They had some shopping to do and for some reason my Mother did not go with us that night. So my Grandmother and Dad were busy looking for whatever items that were on their list.

We were in the Kress five and dime store, which was on a corner and had two entrances--one on each side of the store. Somehow with my Dad and Grandmother busy shopping and me being interested in everything around me, we got separated from each other. Soon I realized that I was not with them anymore and I got very excited. I began to run around looking for them and went out the one entrance and around the outside of the store to the other entrance. I was screaming, crying and running--out one entrance and in the other. Soon some people who knew me and my family saw me and took my hand and tried to calm me down. They assured me that I would be fine and they would find my Dad and Grandmother.

In a couple of minutes they did find my Dad and Grandmother and I was rejoined with them. For a few minutes there I was terrified and thought it was the end of the world. If my Mother had been along with us she probably would have kept a closer eye on me. My Dad and Grandmother felt terribly bad about the whole thing and were as relieved as I was to be reunited with me. As young as I was I very vividly remember how frightened I was. The whole thing probably lasted only about 5 minutes but it was a horrible 5 minutes for me!

3 Comments:

At May 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

POOR BABY!!!

 
At May 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost Nancy one time. She was about 4 or 5. Santa Claus was going to land on the plaza in a helicopter. Mama worked at Woolworth, so we went to work with her to wait for Santa. When the helicopter came into sight, I took Nancy and we went outside into the crowd. When Santa got out of the helicopter, he started throwing candy into the crowd, and everyone went nuts. You would swear these people had never seen candy before! I didn't care about the candy, I just wanted out of the mob. Anyway, in the pushing and shoving, I lost hold of Nancy's hand and got pushed back into the crowd. I will never forget going back into Woolworth's and telling Mama I had lost Nancy! I think somebody found her and brought her back to the store -- she can tell you the story from her point of view. I know from my point of view, it was very frightening!

 
At May 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, from my view point all I saw was Santa Claus's big rear end!! I just remember being in the middle of a huge mob and turning around and seeing nothing but red...a big, fat, red, velvet behind!! It was pretty scary but was probably worse for Deborah and mama than it was for me...mainly because I was so young. Actually it is one of my earliest memories. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home