Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Mean Brats!

My cousin and I were really not all that bad but we did get mean streaks sometimes!


Our grandpa, who lived with my family, liked to sleep out in the back yard on a cot during the summer when it was very hot. He would take naps during the day and place his hat over his face.



One summer day he was out in the yard taking one of his naps. My cousin and I were searching for something funny and unusual to do (that was not very hard for us!).



We saw our grandpa was sound asleep on his cot. We went into the kitchen and got some cornbread and crumbled it up into small pieces. We went out and sprinkled the crumbs all around and on our grandpa. He was a little hard of hearing and with his hat on his face he had no inkling that we were there.



We had free range chickens in our yard. Soon the chickens were edging up to my grandpa and getting the cornbread crumbs, then they were hopping up onto the cot and eating the crumbs that were on my grandpa. Of course the chickens woke up grandpa and he was furiously fighting them off. He was really angry with my cousin and me for that little trick. We stayed shy of him the rest of the day.



Another trick we once did on him was kind of mean also. We had a large fake spider. We tied a string onto a stick and put the spider on the end of the string. Then we sneaked up behind him and dangled the spider in front of his face. He was reading a newspaper and he really swatted that spider with his paper. Then he saw us and realized he had been tricked again.


Now that I look back I can see that we should have been swatted for our mean tricks--but we had our fun for the day!







1 Comments:

At May 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do declare, I think you were about as ornery as your mother was sometimes! Speaking of her being ornery, why don't you tell us the story of the time she wrote you the April fool letter?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home