Sunday, May 18, 2008

Vinegar Plant in Paris, Texas

I can still smell the pungent, sharp odor of the vinegar which permeated the whole south end of town on most days. You could smell it before you even knew it was there.

Speas Vinegar plant was once one of the largest, if not the largest, vinegar plant in the world. It started about in 1932 when O. L. Gregory opened a vinegar plant in Paris, Texas. This interests me because my mother's initials were O. L. and her maiden name was Gregory-- no relation at all. His name was Oscar Lee Gregory--my mother's name was Ollie Lorene Gregory.

My memory is the smell of the vinegar which is implanted in my mind so strongly. My whole childhood life was dotted with trips past the plant and that strong odor of vinegar. Mr Gregory died in May 1940 and the company operated until 1945, at which time The Speas bought out the remaining stock thus ending the era of Gregory, Robinson and Speas. Speas then operated 23 plants supplying practically all the states and the West Indies and other parts of the Pacific.

John Speas died in 1909 and his son Victor took over the company. He ran it until his death in 1971. The company was sold to Pillsbury in 1978.

So, now, when I go past the location where the vinegar plant used to be all I have are my memories because the smell is long gone!

2 Comments:

At March 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM , Blogger skipper said...

Remember the smell well, and the visits of Bill Clark to see my Dad at the Echo.

 
At January 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My grandfather (Allan Gregory Hicks) was employed at a vinegar plant in Paris Texas in 1916. The plant burned along with the town in 1916. My mother and her twin sister were born in burning hospital on March 24. The family left Paris and returned home to Macon, GA. That plant was owned by Gregory Vinegar

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home