Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Poordo

Back in the olden days my mother used to make what she called "Poordo." It was made from leftover biscuits. She would crumble up the biscuits and then pour milk over them and mix it until it was a mushy texture. Then she heated it in a skillet until it was hot through.



Believe it or not, I googled poordo and came up with a recipe for poordo. However, this recipe was made with cornbread instead of biscuits. The recipe also called for sausage gravy to pour over the poordo.





One google item said the name for poordo came from the fact that rich people have a choice for what they eat and the poor do not--thus Poordo.



Poordo was a good way to use leftover biscuits. I remember that I was not overly fond of Poordo, but my grandpa loved it. Also, the name Poordo somehow became "pourdo" in my family.



I remember Poordo was a sort of a sunday night leftover item. My mother made it when nothing much else was around for eating. I think the name, Poordo, is a fitting one because it was indeed a POORDO!

2 Comments:

At May 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a new one for me -- I have never heard of poordo before. Sounds to me like it needs some sugar mixed in!

 
At January 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM , Blogger TNRockDJ said...

All of my life I've heard about "Poordo", but nobody could really remember what it was made of or contained. My Granny made it, but by the time anyone thought to ask her how -- Alzheimer's had set in and it was mostly a lost cause. My Dad described it just in the way you did, however I never found a recipe for it to try it. The research continues!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home