Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Pet Peeve with Newspapers

I am annoyed to no end when I get my Sunday newspaper. I spend ten minutes getting it reorganized so I can read it in an orderly fashion. The weekday papers are not as aggravating as the Sunday Paper. I am sure they must have reasons for the way they put the paper together but I cannot fathom what they are!


They--whoever puts the papers together--put all kinds of little half pages, on the sections, fold tiny inserts into the sections, fold tiny borders on the edges of the pages and pull certain pages up about two inches or so above the tops of the other pages , and sometimes even staple them that way so you can't put them down even with the other pages. It's as if they think you are not going to see those pages if they don't put them up higher above the other pages!


Another annoying thing they do is put the center folds so far off center that the pages are not even. That makes it hard to hold the paper without the pages falling apart. Our TV section is folded so much off center that I can hardly use it.


Why can't they just lay the pages together and center fold them and leave off all of the uneven edges, the extra folds, and dog ears? I like my papers with even edges, perfect centerfolds and without all of the small inserts that fall out when you open the paper up.


If books were put together the way newspapers are I doubt many people would read them! I would like to pay them with a check that is mutilated, folded off center or maybe diagonal and has dog ears the way they do their newspapers! Do you think they would get the point? I doubt it!



2 Comments:

At May 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you should send your check to them in the same manner. Enclose it in a printed copy of your blog, to the attention of the managing editor, and fold them according to their standards! I think they'll get the message. I hate magazines that do that too. It's irritating to try to read when every time you turn a page inserts are falling out. nh

 
At May 25, 2008 at 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dallas Morning News puts a little fold out half page ad on the right side of the comics so that you literally have to tear it off if you want to read the page without it flopping back in front of your eyes all the time. As if that is not enough, they then fold another page around the left side so that when you unfold the paper, you have a page falling to the floor. I have sworn I will never buy anything from the companies who advertise on those annoyances!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home