Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Siamese Twins--Chang and Eng

I had a book about the lives of Chang and Eng, the original Siamese Twins. The title was "The Two." I had read the book a couple of times and was trying to cut down on my large collection of books. I decided to try to sell it on e Bay. I listed it and immediately got a couple of bids on it.



As it turned out the bidder who won the right to purchase the book was a grandchild--or great grandchild of the original Siamese twins. He wrote me an e mail and told me who he was and said he was purchasing the book for one of his children. He wanted all of his children to have copies of the book.



I wrote him back and said how pleased I was to sell him the book. I felt it was a great priviledge to be in contact with one of the original Siamese twin's decendants. Their life was truly a fascinating study.

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some time back, there was a lady on Antiques Roadshow who was a granddaughter of one of the twins. She had her grandfather's chair. It was a double size chair, of course. She said the twins had two of them, one at Chang's house and one at Eng's house, and she had inherited her grandfather's chair. I don't remember what the chair was valued at, but I'm sure it was quite a bit.

We also have a friend who is from Mt. Airy, NC, where the twins lived. I read the book who spoke of many years ago, and found their lives quite fascinating.

 
At May 16, 2008 at 12:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the book "you" spoke of, not "who" spoke of. My fingers were typing faster than my brain was working!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home