Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Flower beds

When we bought our first home back in 1952 the lawn was not in because it was a brand new house and had no lawn. The builder did put in a lawn later but there were no shrubs, trees or any other landscaping plants included.

So I had visions of my beautiful flower beds across the front, sides and back of the house. I had my husband digging up beds all over the place. I bought tulips. irises, and many other kinds of flowers to plant. The first year I had a profusion of color and beauty all around the house.

Then I learned that you are not supposed to cut the tulips off after they are through blooming until they get brown. They didn't get brown for months! I learned that you had to replant them every couple of years for them to stay pretty. I found, also, that weeds are the best growing plant of all! I could not keep up with them.

So about the third year I started doing away with part of the flower beds. First, along the sides of the house and then across the back. The fourth year I had one row of beds across the front of the house and all of the rest were filled in with grass seeds. I discovered that flowers are a lot of work! In the end we had shrubs planted where the flower beds had been. I love flowers but not that much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home