Thursday, May 8, 2008

Paper Dolls

Many Years ago I had a large collection of paper dolls. I had some bought paper dolls but I also had many that were just pictures of ladies, men or children that were cut from magazines or catalogs.


I would find a pretty lady, a handsome man or a cute little child in a magazine or catalog and I would cut it out with an extra space around the doll and then paste it onto some cardboard or other heavy paper. Then I would cut carefully around the edge of the doll. That was my paper doll. They were much cheaper than bought paper dolls.


My way of storing my paper dolls was to put each doll between the pages of a book. That way they were protected from getting bent or wrinkled. I would also make extra clothes for my home made dolls by tracing around their bodies and coloring the clothes with crayons. The extra clothes were stored between the pages along with each doll.


I did have the bought paper dolls of the Dionne Quintuplets, the five babies born in Canada back in 1934. They were the big news of that era. I was so proud of those cute little girls. I think I also had some Shirley Temple paper dolls. But, all in all, the majority of my collection was just home made dolls cut from catalogs and magazines.



If some of those old books of my Dad's that I used for storage of my dolls happen to still be around, I am sure you would find some of my jewels of paper dolls in between their pages!







3 Comments:

At May 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved paper dolls when I was little.....haven't thought about them in years! I wonder if they still make them. nh

 
At May 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use to put my paper dolls on the wheel of Mama's sewing machine and push the pedal back and forth and make like they were on a Ferris wheel!

 
At May 11, 2008 at 4:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved paper dolls, too, but all mine were bought. How creative and fun to have made your own. I guess kids today would consider themselves severely deprived if they had to make their own paper dolls or even play with bought ones. They just don't know what they're missing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home