Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Lost Earring

My husband once gave me a set of diamond earrings as an anniversary gift. I was very proud of them and wore them a lot. They were not extremely big diamonds but to me they were very big.



We were going to the hospital to visit a friend who had had surgery. I put on my earrings and we left the house. We visited the friend and then came home. I was taking my earrings off when suddenly I realized that one of them was missing. I was horrified. I looked all around on my carpet and found the back of the earring on the carpet but not the earring. I must have not got the back on the post right and it had fallen off while I was still in the house.



I then went out to the car retracing my steps and searched all over but the earring was nowhere to be found. It was late at night and dark so we just went to bed. The next morning I told my husband that we should drive over to the hospital and look where we had parked and see if it might be possible to find the earring.



We drove to the same place where we had parked the night before and just as we got there I saw something sparkle on the pavement. I got out and looked and there was my earring. It had been driven over and the post was bent flat but the

diamond was perfect and not broken.



I was amazed that it was still right there in the street. It must have fallen out of my ear when I got out of the car. I took it to the jeweler and had it repaired. I also had him put posts on it that were the screw type. So then they could not accidentally come off my ear. I still have my earrings but, sadly, I do not have my husband. The earrings are a lovely reminder of his love for me when he bought them.

1 Comments:

At June 18, 2008 at 1:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost my diamond and ruby necklace a couple of years ago. I had been running errands, and when I got home, I realized it was gone. We searched the car and drove back to all the stores I had been to, but we didn't find it. I left my name and number at all the stores so if someone turned it in, I would get it back. I told my husband I was going to run an ad in the paper, and he said that would be of no use, because if someone honest had found it, they would have turned it in. I ran the ad anyway, and sure enough, a lady called me and said she had the necklace. She hadn't turned it in because she was afraid someone at the store would be dishonest. I offered her a reward, but she refused to take it. But I remember the sick feeling I had when I realized my necklace was gone!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home