Monday, June 2, 2008

The Hole in the Ceiling

When we decided to buy a new home back in 1976 we put our present home up for sale. We did all the things you need to do before you put a home up for sale.


My husband was up in the attic rearranging some things and accidentally stuck his foot through the ceiling of our bedroom. There was a hole about two feet by two feet smack dab in the middle of our bedroom ceiling! Talk about bad timing!


We had to purchase some wallboard to repair the hole. In the meantime, the real estate lady called and wanted to show some people our home that afternoon.


Of course, we could not possibly let her show our home before that hole was repaired! I made the excuse that we were having company and could not possibly have anyone come that day. I could have just told her the truth and let her deal with it but I chose to just not tell her.


We got the wallboard and my husband repaired the hole the next day. It was quite a job but he managed to repair it so that it was not very obvious at all. Then later I called the real estate lady and said we were ready to show the home. Fortunately, the hole was repaired well and we only had to show the home two times because the first people who looked at it made an offer. The second lookers made a better offer and we accepted. Too bad that these days it isn't quite that easy to sell a home!



















3 Comments:

At June 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story today reminded me of one of my favorite anecdotes from Readers Digest. This lady said she was working in an office one day while the telephone company was running wiring through the attic. As she sat typing, all of a sudden a man came hurtling through the ceiling and landed on the floor in a heap right in front of her desk. The man hopped up, brushed off his clothes, and said, "The name's Bond -- James Bond."

 
At June 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar thing happen to me. The cable company was at my house to add a new outlet and they had to run some wiring through the attic. The guy was in the attic and I was in one of my bedrooms. All of a sudden I heard something and looked up and saw that my ceiling was cracking! I started sreaming to the top of my voice your cracking the ceiling! I must have sounded really anry because he came down out of the attic and went to his truck. I thought he was running away! Actually he was calling his boss to tell him what happened. The boss came out, looked at the ceiling and was very nice. He said not to worry that it would be repaired as good as new and it was. The guy that cracked it never left the truck. The boss apoloziged for him and said today is his first day and he was just a little nervous and frightened. After that when I found I needed to yell at someone I tried to do it in a calmer way. Poor guy thought I was going to kill him I guess!

 
At June 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Times have sure changed, now the average time on the market is six months before one sells. We were lucky in selling our previous home too. I mentioned it to a friend, she came and looked at it and about a week later called to say, "I'll take it!" She wanted in so quickly that we literally passed each other continuously...we were hauling things out and she was bringing her things in. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home