Wednesday, May 28, 2008

All Alone in a corner!

When I was in the first grade I remember that one kid in my class was a retarded boy (he should have been in a special school). I don't remember his real name but his nickname was Dub. The teacher had him in a seat that was placed in one corner of the room all by himself. I think all he ever did was copy things from books or papers. I don't remember him participating in the regular class with the rest of us. I am sure he had been in school a couple of years but was repeating the first grade. I think he must have been a couple of years older than the regular first grade student.



I can remember how sorry I felt for him because he was up in this corner all by himself. As I think back on it I think he should have been in the rows with all of the other children. I don't see the point of placing him away from the other children (maybe the teacher had a point that I didn't see).



He wore a policeman's uniform (a smaller child's size) for what ever reason. Maybe his Dad was a cop. He was a quiet kid and never interrupted the class. To this day I don't know what happened to Dub. I never saw him after I left that grade in school. I hope he had a good life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home