Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ultra Fancy!

Once, years ago, my sister and her family and my family were traveling together--either to Indiana from Texas or from Texas to Indiana, I forget which. Anyway, we stopped at a motel for the night. It was just a plain non fancy looking motel. We registered our rooms, which were very plain but clean, and were going to eat. The motel had a restaurant attached to it so we decided to eat there.

When we entered the restaurant, which was not anything out of the ordinary, we were seated at a table. There were about six of us. Then this waiter came to our table to take our order. He came around the table with a large napkin and proceeded to place it around my neck and straighten it out. I was shocked but I allowed him to place the napkin on me. Then he went to the rest of the table and did that for each one of us. My brother-in-law started laughing and it was obvious why he was laughing. I guess the waiter caught on to the laugh and he did not place a napkin on him. It was such an unlikely place to expect that kind of treatment that we all were amazed.


The motel was so common and so ordinary looking that we never in a million years would have expected such a fancy restaurant to be connected to it. Actually, the restaurant was not really that fancy just by looking at it but the actions of the waiter made it seem so super fancy. I have never had a waiter put my napkin on me at any restaurant, plain or fancy!

My brother-in-law could not stifle his laugh and the rest of us also were amused. I think the waiter knew we were laughing at him so he kind of steered clear of us except to do the minimum things to serve us.

I guess the old saying, You can't judge a book by its cover held true for that motel and restaurant!

1 Comments:

At May 27, 2008 at 2:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I well remember that incident! I've eaten in restaurants since then where the waiter places the napkin on your lap, but I've never had one to make as big a production out of it as this one did. Maybe he thought we didn't know what a napkin was for!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home