Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Circus Parade

Back when I was just a small kid I remember one year my Mother was going to take me to see a parade of circus animals. The circus was going to be in town and the animals were transported by train to our city (town might be a more accurate term to use!).


They always marched the animals along the street from the train depot to the place where the circus was being held. A lot of people didn't go to the circus but they could see all of the animals anyway by standing along the street which the parade route used. In fact, my aunt and uncle were taking me to the circus that night, but I wanted to go anyway to see the animals march through town.

The one thing bad was; I had to miss a day of school to do this! But so did a lot of other kids. It was very exciting, first, because of having a day off from school and second, doing something very different and exciting than the usual everyday thing.

So we got up early and got all dressed and went to a place along one of the streets where the parade was going to march. I really can't remember too much about seeing the animals but I do remember what fun it was to be out of school and just doing something different.

It has been many years since I went to a circus. When the circus comes here to Fort Wayne it is held inside the Memorial Coliseum. The olden time circus was held outside in tents. I am sure it was much more exciting than a modern day circus! I have my memories of the circuses of the past so I probably won't ever go to another circus in my lifetime.

1 Comments:

At June 10, 2008 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Occasionally we still have a small circus come to our town and perform in a tent. They usually just do two shows. One in the afternoon and one that night. Sometimes they give out tickets to the school kids because they know the parents have to bring them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home