Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mama's Long Hair

Back in the days when my Mother was young she was brought up to believe that a woman's hair was her crowning glory and it was sinful to cut it off. Her mother before her was brought up the same way.

My Mother's hair was dark and very long and thick. It came down her back at least past her waist. She twisted it into a long tail and then rolled it into a bun on the back of her head. She used hair pins to pin it into a bun. It was attractive for that time.

Later on her life got very busy and she had little time to fool with her hair. It was time consuming to wash and dry it and then put in into the bun. So she debated quite a while about getting it cut. Finally, she took the giant leap and had it cut and got a permanent. I don't think she ever regretted it because it was so much easier to take care of. I think she changed her mind about it being sinful also. She had to go along with progress.

Later on when I went to visit her about two times a year the one thing I did each time I was there was--I cut her hair and gave her a Toni perm. She looked forward to me doing that. I am not a beauty operater but I could do a fairly good job on her hair. She was always pleased with it. I would love to be able to give her a Toni now but she has been gone for quite a few years. God is taking care of her hair now!

2 Comments:

At June 11, 2008 at 1:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've learned something...I never knew grandma had long hair! I don't guess I ever saw a photograph of her with long hair and, of course, from the time I was little, it was always short. You are so right, she always looked forward to your visits AND getting her perm! nh

 
At June 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mama did have beautiful hair. So thick and dark. Even in her last days her hair looked pretty when she had it done even though it was white instead of dark brown. How I wish I had been blessed with her hair but instead I got my poor grandmother's hair!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home