Sunday, June 8, 2008

The King

I wrote a couple of days ago the post, "Double Talk." Now I will write about the origin of the name, Le Roy. That was my husband's name, which he hated with a passion. It is sad that someone has to spend his whole life with a name he hates. However, he was well known as "Ford," which was his surname. The use of that name came along when he entered the service. All of his army buddies used that name because he asked them to and I think that is the normal thing in the army anyway, to go by last names. Actually, he hated his middle name also. It was Earl. Mostly it was shortened to the initial E.

The name LeRoy is derived from Old French meaning, "The King." I don't know if there is a single correct pronunciation but his Mother always used the pronunciation of LeRoy with the accent on the Roy part. Most people, including my husband himself, pronounced it LeRoy with the accent on the Le part. He did use the name, LeRoy E. Ford on all business transactions but informally he went by the name Ford, his surname.

Often he would jokingly say, "I am the King," to indicate his superiority in certain situations. I have to admit he was the King around our household! The Queen has lost her King!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home