Friday, July 4, 2008

Mama and Sugar

My Mother was big on sugar. She added a touch of sugar to almost everything--things you don't even associate with sweetness.

She added sugar to most of her vegetables and I have to admit that a lot of the time I didn't notice it. She claimed it brought out the flavor of foods. The one thing that I did notice the sugar in, and I hated it, was cabbage. She would cook a big pan of cabbage, add bacon grease ( I did like that) and then she would add her sugar. I have no idea how much she used but I always tasted the sweetness in the cabbage.

When we visited her she would cook cabbage and I would tell her we will eat it but not if you put sugar in it. So she would say, "I won't put any sugar in it." But when I would taste it I knew she had put the sugar in, maybe not as much but enough that I could still taste it.

Finally, I think she realized that I was on to her. She did quit putting the sugar in the cabbage. Or, at least she put so little that I really couldn't taste it. That was fine. If I didn't taste the sugar I didn't mind that.

I never add sugar to anything that isn't supposed to be sweet. Maybe I am missing out on some flavor but at least I am not getting all of that sugar!

3 Comments:

At July 4, 2008 at 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, your not getting all that sugar .....but what about the bacon grease?

 
At July 4, 2008 at 5:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only vegetable I really like sugar with is carrots. I cook them with sugar and butter till they are kind of carmelized. It's almost like having dessert, and probably just as bad!

 
At July 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, whatever she did, it worked! She served some of the best meals I've ever had. Do you remember Grandma putting a dash of salt into her tea? I'm not sure why she did....but even her tea was delicious.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home