Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Foot in My Mouth!

I promise this will be the last animal story for a spell! This goes back to the psychotic dog.

We were camping with a group from our church one summer. We were all sitting around a campfire just talking, laughing and telling stories. We had Mickey, our psychotic dog with us. Mickey did some strange thing for a dog--I can't remember what now. One of the children said, "Why does he do that?" I laughed and casually replied, "Because he is retarded!"

I had no more than got those words out of my mouth when I looked up and sitting right across from me was the family of a retarded girl. They and their daughter were all sitting there. I felt the numbness of a stroke go through me. What could I say?

Well, as it ended up, I said nothing. No one said anything at all. I am sure it was a low blow to that family. In a few seconds everyone was laughing and talking again as if nothing had been said at all. But I still felt as if I had made fun of those people when that was the furthermost thing from my intentions. I had really stuck my foot in my mouth!

2 Comments:

At July 2, 2008 at 1:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel alone, Kyra. It's a rare person who has never done something like that! And Mickey was kind of retarded!

 
At July 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Sometimes I swear my feet stay in my mouth more than on the ground! And yes, Mickey was sort of retarded! nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home