Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Ceramic Kiln

This is very similar to my kiln.


One of my many brainstorms came to me back in about the early 70s. I got hooked on ceramics. I had taken a class in ceramics and pottery and just fell totally in love with the whole thing!

The class covered everything from molding something out of the raw clay to the firing of it in the kiln. Each person in the class formed an object from the raw clay, then painted the item and then it was fired in the kiln to become a finished object. I was fascinated with the whole procedure. Immediately I began to look for a kiln and bought a pottery wheel and some clay and began making things--ash trays, vases, bowls and etc.

I was stupidly advised--by a friend--to buy this kiln which was over $300 and much too big for my purposes.

However, I did buy it and then found out that it needed a 220 electrical outlet, which we did not have. My husband was going to install an outlet for me but , unfortunately, he had to have back surgery and could not do it for some time.

In a year or so we did get the outlet installed and my kiln was ready to fire. Somewhere along the line, I sort of lost my desire to do ceramic work and the kiln sat for another couple of years and was never fired.

In the end I sold the never fired kiln for $100--a $200 loss from my purchase price. I still am fascinated by ceramics but not enough to get into it again. So that brainstorm was an expensive one. I am very careful now and I try to curb my brainstorms!

1 Comments:

At July 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so odd that you blogged on this subject today. Just the other day I thought about when you were doing ceramics, and I wondered if you still had your kiln. I was always fascinated with the fact that a lump of raw clay could become a beautiful art object. There's a life lesson in there somewhere!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home