Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tooth Cleaners

Do you remember using tooth powder to clean your teeth? It was a great improvement over some of the things I and many other people have used in the long ago past!

I have used salt, baking soda, just a clean white cloth or a twig to clean my teeth. Salt was the most common thing to use for cleaning teeth back in the old days. It was OK, but I hated baking soda. The taste of it was terrible. I guess it did an OK job if you could survive the taste! Some people took a small twig--I think Elm was a favorite-- and chewed the end of it until it was like a brush and used that to clean their teeth.

My Mother also would sometimes give me a piece of clean white cloth and tell me to use it to scrub my teeth. It would make my teeth feel smooth and clean but I am sure it didn't get into the crevices and around the gums like a brush would.

Then came Tooth powder. I remember the Colgate brand. It had a fresh minty taste. You poured a little of the powder in your hand and dipped your toothbrush into it. It was white and so much tastier than salt or baking soda. There were other brands too but the only one I specifically remember is Colgate.

Then finally came toothpaste. It was the Cadillac of tooth cleaners! I now use toothpaste all the time. In fact, I am not sure you can even get tooth powder any more ( and where would I find an Elm tree?). I do not have a certain brand that I have to have--mostly I buy whatever is on sale or that I have a coupon for ( preferably I like it if it is on sale and I have a coupon!).

I still have most of my own teeth and I am sure it is because I have spent a fortune on taking care of them. I know that I would not be happy with false teeth and so I am more than happy to spend the money to keep my own teeth. Hooray for Crest, Colgate, Pepsodent, Listerine and all of the other tooth paste manufacturers-- not to mention my Dentist!

1 Comments:

At July 5, 2008 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember some of the old toothpaste slogans -- Look Mom, no cavities! You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent. I don't remember the slogan, but I remember Ipana toothpaste. I never used tooth powder, but I do remember when I was a little girl seeing it on the store shelves.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home