Sunday, October 26, 2008

Black Eyed Peas

Doesn't that picture make your mouth water?

I love black eyed Peas. They are a type of bean. I remember one year we had them planted in our garden--actually I think my Mom and Dad planted them every year but I especially remember this particular year. They really produced a big crop. About every other day we could go out and pick a batch of them that would be enough for our meal for lunch and supper. We did that for a matter of weeks, until they were through producing for the season. Our whole family loved them and we couldn't wait until the next meal that we had of them.

We usually just had them cooked with bacon seasoning but they also could be used for salads and other dishes.

I had a friend who got some of them from someone and she thought they were beans. She cooked them and thought they were having beans until I told them that they were peas.

The best kind of peas are just the fresh peas picked from the garden and cooked right away. Next best is probably frozen, then canned and last dried ones. I usually buy canned ones because I am now the only one in my family who likes them. So a can is just about the right amount for one person. But sometimes I buy dried ones and I can cook just the amount that I want to cook.

They are definitely a southern growing thing and are not well known in Indiana where I now live. I don't even know if they would do well growing here. Anyway, if I have black eyed peas they have to be dried or canned ones because I have never planted any.

A southern idea is that you should eat black eyed peas on New Year's day and you will have good luck all year long. I don't know how true that is but I don't mind eating them at any time of the year. So many people have them for New Year's Day.

I don't happen to have any on hand right now but the next trip to the grocery store I am buying some because just writing about them has made me very hungry for some!

2 Comments:

At October 27, 2008 at 7:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There used to be a local gardener who would bring blackeyed peas to Gene's office every year. Gene and a lady in his office would buy a bushel and half them. I didn't even mind shelling them. I guess that man got too old to do his garden, because he hasn't been by the last couple of years.

 
At October 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If that man comes around again send him my way! I would buy a bushel!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home