Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Charlie McCarthy Doll


















Charlie McCarthy


Edgar Bergen and his puppets Charlie and Mortimer Snerd.


Back in about the late 1930s I got a Charlie McCarthy puppet doll for Christmas.


Charlie McCarthy was very popular at that time. Edgar Bergen was the ventriloquist who operated the Charlie McCarthy puppet. Charlie McCarthy was a radio show back then because TV was not very widespread yet. And, in fact, TV was the doomsday for Charlie McCarthy.


I loved my Charlie and played with it a lot. I do not know now what ever became of it. Lost in the shuffle of moving and time it somehow was lost forever.

If I were fortunate enough to still have it I imagine that it would be worth a fortune.

Charlie McCarthy is just a memory for most of us who were living then. For the rest of you it is a shame you will never know Charlie!

2 Comments:

At December 24, 2008 at 7:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing Edgar Bergen and Charlie and Mortimer on Ed Sullivan quite frequently. I always thought a ventriloquist on radio was kind of ironic. Anyway, you are probably right about the value of your Charlie McCarthy! Too bad he was lost.

 
At December 24, 2008 at 12:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

s

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home