Monday, February 2, 2009

Bacon Grease on Lettuce

Leaf Lettuce




My Grandma used to fix a plate of leaf lettuce for her lunch, or dinner. She would chop up the lettuce leaves and a few green onions along with it and then she would sprinkle some salt and pepper on it and pour a generous amount of bacon grease on the whole pile and stir it up. Sometimes she would pour a little bit of vinegar on also. I copied her a lot and believe me, it was GOOD! Maybe not so good for me but it was delicious.




It was a type of salad and probably would have been very healthful--without the bacon grease. But that bacon grease was what made it so good.




Back in those days they didn't worry, or even know about bacon being bad for you.




I see leaf lettuce sometimes at the grocery store but the price of it turns me off! Sometime I may splurge and buy a bunch of it and copy my dear old Grandmother's style of making a salad.

1 Comments:

At February 3, 2009 at 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a neighbor we used to have -- We called him Mr. Bill. Mr. Bill had a garden every year, and when the onions and lettuce were just right, that was one of his favorite things to eat. He'd always bring some over to me and tell me, "Now pour a little bacon grease on it, and that's some good eatin'!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home