Thursday, January 22, 2009

Nylon Stockings



Stockings with seams up the back












Back in 1946 I went to work at the Wayne Knitting Mills. They made nylon stockings there. I worked on a sewing machine making the seams up the back of the stockings. Stockings now do not have a seam in the back. It was a very hum drum job since all I did was sew the seams up the back of each pair of stockings. If I made a mistake or got the seam a little crooked I had to rip it out and start all over. Ripping it out was very time consuming because you had to work very carefully with the nylon to keep from tearing it. So you tried to make sure to get it right the first time.


I worked there for about five years. I got pregnant with my first child and had to quit about 5 months later. For a while, I was doing the sewing at home ( they brought a machine out to my home) but that got to be too much for me to handle so I stopped that before too long.


I was on piece work and had to reach a quota of a certain number of stockings before I got paid on the piece work pay. After I reached that, in about three months, I made very good money. However it was nerve wracking work and I had problems with my nerves for a while. Finally, I got over that and did fine.


Nylon stockings now are seamless and I don't think too many people wear the kind I made. Mostly, I wear knee highs or pantie hose occasionally. Wayne Knitting Mills went out of business long ago. But I did get my first experience at working there.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home