Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Peeling Tomatoes





















My Mom could not stand to eat a tomato that was unpeeled. I love eating them just washed and sliced with the peeling still on.

I feel it is a waste to throw away the best part of the tomato and a waste of the time spent peeling them. They tear up so easily without the peeling to hold them together. I also have heard that most of the nutrients are in the peel. So it is a double waste to peel them.

I love tomatoes and I have a garden every year and plant lots of tomatoes. I can juice and whole tomatoes for my use all winter in soups, stews , spaghetti and just for eating plain. I do peel the tomatoes for canning because the peels roll up and are not pleasant to eat canned.

My Mom used to spend quite a bit of time peeling the tomatoes. I tried to tell her about the nutrients but she didn't care, she was not going to eat tomato peelings! She felt the same way about peaches. I can understand the peaches a little easier than the tomatoes but I still just wash my peaches and eat them unpeeled--YUM YUM!

2 Comments:

At January 28, 2009 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never peel my tomatoes, either. I had forgotten about Grandma doing that, but when I read your post, I could just see a plate of Grandma's peeled and sliced tomatoes.

 
At January 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right...I had forgotten about Grandma doing that too, but after reading about it..I had that same vision of peeled, sliced tomatoes! Her home-grown tomatoes were so good...mmmm! nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home