Monday, January 26, 2009

My Accent



















I was born in Texas and thus I have a Texas accent. I moved to Indiana in 1946 when I was about 19 years old. Since then I have never tried to change my accent or keep it--I am just me and I talk the way I always did.

However, I know that in spite of living here in Indiana for some 60 years I have never lost all of my southern accent because I never meet someone new who doesn't ask me if I am from the south.


I did drop some of the expressions that were deeply instilled in me from the south; such as y'all. The very first time I came to Indiana one of Ford's friends picked us up at the train station for a ride home. Immediately he started saying to me "How y"all doing?" I was greatly insulted and never liked that guy after that. I am sure he was just trying to be friendly and funny, but I was very upset by it!

For some reason I have always felt inferior because of my southern accent. Probably because of the way TV has portrayed people from the south as being hillbilly and dumb. I know that I am as smart as the average person from the north, certainly not any dumber, but I still feel slightly inferior to a person having a northern, or Yankee, accent.

There are others who say what the sign above says, Everyone loves a southern girl. That makes me feel some better but underneath it all I can't completely lose that background feeling of inferiority.


I hope y"all do understand that I am not dumb and I do still have a southern accent! I will probably die with it because I am never going to change! Yea! Hooray for me!

1 Comments:

At January 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love our east Texas drawl -- I think it has much more character and color than the bland yankee accent!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home