Saturday, March 28, 2009

Indian Head Pennies

Ruby Mae O'Dea


Many years ago before my Mother and Dad married his family's home was burned. I am not sure how much damage was done but there was some damage.



When the fire was first discovered the family was all taking out important items to save from the fire. Most of them were getting out clothes, pieces of furniture and other things they considered valuable.



My Aunt, Ruby Mae, was probably about five or six years old. She had a little cedar chest, actually a jewelry box, and she had quite a number of Indian Head pennies she had collected over some time. She was running around looking for her cedar chest. She had to save her Indian Head pennies! She did find it and saved her valuable pennies.



The rest of the family later chided her for fooling around with a few pennies instead of trying to save something a lot more valuable then pennies.



I am glad she saved them because I remember looking at her pennies many times when I was a child. I would never have seen them if she hadn't saved them from the fire. Everyone has a priority list and the chest with the Indian Head pennies was on the top of her list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home