Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Money Saving Tip



Cauliflower














Celery



Many of you probably already do this but I think it is worth telling anyway.


I used to be guilty of the thing I am telling you about but I learned to be more thrifty in my older years.



In the picture above the woman is cutting just about where most people cut their celery stalks, then they throw away the top part. I learned that you can wash the top part and dice it into small pieces and it is just perfect for soups or salads. For salads it will keep several days. For soups you can freeze it for a longer time and it is perfect to put in soup or stews.



It is the same with cauliflower. I cut the outer stems and leaves and chop them up and freeze them for soups or stews. I do not waste one stem or leaf of either celery or cauliflower. You pay a fortune for them and it is a sin to throw away that expensive food.



When they are in soups or stews you never know the difference whether it is a top stem or a outer leaf and you still get the full flavor of it in your soup.


So, the next time you buy celery or cauliflower and start to trim it remember the price you paid for that vegetable--the complete thing, and think twice before pitching the trimmings into the garbage! It is like throwing away money!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home