Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dutch Oven















A round Dutch oven















This is my Dutch oven.


I have my Dutch oven on a shelf in my garage. I may never use it again but I am keeping it in case I want to.




We bought it years ago to use when we went camping. We made many cakes, cobblers and other desserts in it and they were scrumptious. We also made some good stews in it with chicken, beef or whatever. I think the favorite was peach cobbler. We just cut up fresh peaches in the bottom, or maybe a can of peaches if fresh ones weren't available, then sprinkled sugar and a box cake mix evenly over the peaches. Then we poured melted butter, or margarine over that. We let it cook for about 45 minutes or maybe an hour. It was so good!



We had a smaller version of the Dutch oven for us, since we were only two at that time but our friends had a large one, like the large round one in the picture above, which we used a lot when there was a larger number of us eating. You also could put the Dutch oven over an open campfire but we preferred using the charcoal.




The oven worked this way: you put about six charcoal briquettes or more if needed, on the lid, or top and about twelve under neath it. They should be lit and started elsewhere. Then you let the charcoal get going good and and cover the pot with the lid. You don't even have to watch it or stir it or anything until you think it might be done.You've never eaten a cobbler until you eat one cooked like this!



We made many delicious meals with our Dutch oven and it has many more meals yet in it but they won't be eaten by me, most likely. My kitchen oven is much closer and handier since I don't camp anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home