Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Master Gardener!
















See my beautiful garden? I just went out a few minutes ago and snapped this picture. I am so lucky that the rain came just right for my plants. It rained most of the night last night and has rained some today also.


Carla Sue and Brett, my daughter and grandson came over Sunday and helped me get my garden in. I hope God will forgive me for doing it on Sunday but I have to grab my help when I can get it!


We planted eighteen tomato plants, nine bell pepper plants and three hills of squash. They also put in a few lettuce and radish seeds.


This is the earliest I have ever planted my garden. I usually plant at the very end of May because we often have frosts right up until then. One year I did plant early, about the middle of May and we had a frost and I lost all of my plants. Since that time I have always waited until the end of May.


I had a reason for planting early this year. Since I am going to my grandson's wedding in Boise, Idaho, May 22nd, I wanted to get the garden planted before I go. I am hoping that the plastic bags you see around the plants will protect them from frost. The main reason for the plastic bags is to protect them from rabbits. I have a million rabbits around here and they will eat all of the plants in one night if they are just planted in the open. Two or three years ago I dreamed up the idea of putting the plastic bags around the plants. Since then the rabbits do not touch them. I think just the movement of the plastic disturbs them so they do not try to eat the plants. I think I am pretty clever to think of that idea--don't you?


So actually, the plastic bags will serve two purposes. protection from the frost and from the rabbits. At least that is my hopes. If it happens to get too cold the bags might not work but I am just taking a chance that it won't get that cold. I plan to place another plastic bag over the cage of each plant if they predict a heavy frost--and pray!


So, come to my house about the end of July and I will serve you some beautiful sliced tomatoes. I live for each summer to have my tomatoes and squash. I am the only one in my family that eats squash but I love it. So I have all I want since nobody else eats it. I make it fried, pickled, in casseroles and raw with dip. I may turn in to a squash someday!

2 Comments:

At April 29, 2009 at 12:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm envious! Our soil is heavily compacted clay, so the only way I'll ever be able to have a decent garden is raised beds.

 
At April 29, 2009 at 1:20 PM , Anonymous kyra lafain said...

Our soil was clay also thirty two years ago. Since then we have added things almost every year; sawdust one year, bags of topsoil another, leaves, manure and just working it every year has made it much better. However, It still would be too much work to do it by hand, I have a tiller and that makes it much easier!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home