Monday, July 27, 2009

Daddy's rainy days




Some of my Dad's Rainy days
My Dad used to work for the State Highway Department as well as for the City Street Department at times in his life.

They did street and highway maintenance so when it rained they could not work. This was back in the times when, if you didn't work you didn't get paid.

Texas has a lot of rain during the spring and even in the winter at times. So many days Daddy had to be off work because of rainy days. He had a family to feed and when the money didn't come in it was hard to make the money stretch for groceries and rent.

I can remember worrying about it when he could not work even though I was just a child. I would think will we have enough to eat? Somehow we always had enough to eat and managed to get by. Then later on he was on a salary and got money anyway when he couldn't work. Those were bad times for us.


Nowadays most people don't have to worry about missing work except for when they want to be off for a personal reason. Times are much better now, exccept for this recent downturn in the economy when so many are out of jobs.

I think people should protect their children from the reality of when they are having bad times. Children do worry about their family. It doesn't help the matter for children to know how bad things are. I know this for a fact because I remember I worried about us not having money for food.


I do hope the economy turns around soon so little children do not have to worry about their family and they can get on with just being a kid and having fun!

3 Comments:

At July 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures make me wish I could see him! When I think of Grandpa, I most often think of him working the crossword.

 
At July 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pics! It makes me miss him too. Staying with grandma and grandpa so much, I remember him coming in from work and then him smelling of Old Spice after he had cleaned up for supper. The evening was then spent with his pipe and the crossword puzzle. Those were great times! nh

 
At July 27, 2009 at 9:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of dying isn't so bad when I think about seeing Daddy, Mama, Sara and Cotton again! But, I also would hate to leave all of my loved ones here on earth.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home