Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What is This?



Many of you will have no idea what this thing is! I know because I used one many years ago.



It is a darning egg. It was used to put into a sock when you darned holes. What? You darn socks? Yes, I did a lot when my kids were little and got lots of holes in their socks. They were not quite as comfortable after they were darned but they were wearable and had no hole there after it was darned.



I remember as a child my mother would let me take old socks that had too many holes to darn any more over into what we then called nigger town! You would be in trouble now if you called it that. The black people would buy the socks like crazy--maybe for only a nickle or a couple of pennies. We were thrilled to get a few cents for a "holy" pair of socks! I don't know how they managed to darn all the holes that were in the socks but back then I didn't care--I was just thrilled to get a few cents , and they were thrilled to get the socks for their children.



I am keeping my old darning egg. Who knows, maybe I will need to use it again some day in the unforeseen future! I sure hope not but who knows what the future will bring?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home