Friday, October 23, 2009

A Double Tragedy

My cousin, Nellie Hedger, and her five children

Many years ago, approximately 70, My cousin Nellie lost two of her children by a drowning. Nellie was my Aunt Lizzie's daughter.

The children were out playing in the snow and ice and were on a pond which was frozen over. The two small boys. the small one in the front and the one she is holding or the middle boy in the second row, I not sure which were the ones who drowned, broke through the ice and fell into the water. No adult was there and by the time the other kids got Nellie's attention the boys were already drowned. It was a double tragedy and it hit Nellie hard.

Some one made a picture of the boys in their coffin, they were buried together and I did see the picture but I do not have one now.

Last summer my niece, Debbie, drove us around to visit places and she took us to the cemetery where they were buried. It was a sad sight. We could hardly find the graves for the weeds. No one takes care of the cemetery. Nellie has been gone for several years and the siblings do not live near so there is no one who takes an interest in keeping the graves cleaned up.

I often think about what a sad thing it was that happened so many years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home