Wednesday, November 18, 2009

An Antique--for Sure.



The dresser in this picture is at least 100 years old. It belonged to Ford's mother. She probably bought it used, I am sure. I do know that she got it when Ford was just a baby.

When she died and her belongings were divided up between her children. None of them wanted this dresser. I know why--it was covered with several coats of paint and very rugged looking. The latch on the little door on the lower right side was broken and the door was split on one side. I saw beyond all that ugly exterior and knew that it would be beautiful if refinished.

Its good points were that it was genuine oak, the original drawer pulls were all there, the wood was in good shape except for the split door and it was sturdily built. The mirror was also in good shape.

So I brought it home. The first thing I did was have Ford repair the split door. He did a nice job and it is really undetectable on the outside. On the inside he used a small ell shaped brace which has held it together perfectly all of these years. Then I began a month's work of stripping off all the layers of paint--there were at least four. I worked in my utility room because it was winter and we didn't have a garage then. I worked slow and steady. I would strip off a section of paint at a time using paint remover. I had laundry tubs so I would then wash off the old paint and start another section. It was a long, hard and messy job.

After I got all of the paint off, using steel wool, a wire brush and scrapers, I then sanded it forever! After that I put on a coat of clear varnish--which I was later told I shouldn't have--but it did make a nice shiny smooth surface.

After Ford's sisters saw the finished dresser I think they were sorry they didn't take it. But knowing them I am sure they would not have done all of that work! And it was a lot of messy and tedious work!

For years I have thought about getting a big wash bowl and pitcher to place on the little wash stand part but somehow, I never did get to that. Now I am not buying new things, I am getting rid of old things (but not this dresser)!

I have enjoyed having it all of these years, about forty, I think. The wood on it is a very pretty oak and it has stayed very nice to this day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home