Monday, November 23, 2009

The Olden Days


Can you imagine living in a house like the one in the picture above? Well the caffee family, my dad and his parents did live in this house. The folks in the picture are: left to right, my Dad, Elbert Caffee, on the horse; his brother, my uncle Jim; my uncle Dillard; my grandpa Caffee; the family dog, name unknown; and Grandma Caffee. The last man on the right is unknown, at least by me. Grandma and Grandpa Caffee had three other children which were not born at the time this picture was made.
They may have had a shabby house but my Dad had one thing that I never had--a horse!
This picture was made circa 1905. The house had an open breezeway through the middle of it. I never saw this house but I have seen old homes with the breezeway in them--fancy, huh?

5 Comments:

At November 23, 2009 at 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I think you may have seen the house, but I can't remember whether or not you were with us. It was bought by the Parham Family probably 30 years ago and restored. We went out there one day. I'm pretty sure Mary Ruth and family were with us, and I was thinking you were, too. The dog's name was Cricket. The man on the right was Mr. Beason, the landlord. Grandma told me the photo would have been made around 1909.

 
At November 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work with Sherry Parham...I really wish I had asked her for a tour of it. I don't think I realized it was Grandpa's home until she had quit and then I no longer saw her. nh

 
At November 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM , Blogger kyra lafain said...

I LEFT OUT THE LITTLE BOY THAT GRANDMA CAFFEE IS HOLDING HIS HAND. HE IS UNCLE WILLIE, WHO DIED MANY YEARS AGO.
I DO REMEMBER SEEING AN OLD HOUSE THAT DADDY AND HIS FAMILY LIVED IN BUT IN MY MEMORY IT WAS NOT LIKE THIS HOUSE. MAYBE I JUST FORGOT--SENILITY! I WAS GLAD TO LEARN THAT THE DOG WAS CRICKET

 
At November 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Jen McD said...

Hi! My name is Jen McDaniel. Sam and Nora Caffee are my great-great grandparents, through their son, Leonard Rice “Jim” Caffee. Jim’s eldest daughter, Wanda, is my grandmother. I have been looking for other Caffee relatives. I also have this photo and have been told there is a family genealogy book that traces our generations back to Europe. Would love to connect with you and others!

 
At November 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Jen McD said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home